Summer Resolutions: Make It Time Well Spent
“So how’s your summer going?”
Unless we are occupied with jobs or internships, chances are, we don’t have a stable agenda written up for each day of the summer break.
Of course, it’s a time to relax and enjoy ourselves as well as doing something proactive or work a job. Essentially, it’s important to have both. It’s always good to have a to-do list of some sort, or dare I say, perhaps a summer resolution.
I know, I know, we’ve all been through it before and some of us have not been close to even completing 92% of the things from last New Year’s resolution. Or perhaps we should set more realistic goals. But as the quote by Les Brown goes, “Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss it you will land among the stars.” I’d like to think of setting these goals, and the fact that I will at least try to complete some of it, if not all.
Here are some ideas for a PRODUCTIVE summer:
- Read a book. It’s an activity that simple, and reading opens up inspirations and is a way to pass time. Travelling to exotic countries may be costly and a hassle, but reading can really take you to another world as well.
- Get a summer job (or internship if you can). Most college students have expectations of having some sort of job during the summer. It provides a great experience and puts your mind in “work mode”, so that you don’t walk into class with your brain left at the beach.
- Pick up an old hobby or something of interest and develop your passion. During college, students are swamped by all the work and projects assigned and have little time to do activities they love. Have your ol’ guitar sitting in your room? Don’t let it pick up dust! Pick the guitar up and start creating music!
- Volunteer and do community service. What better way to devote your altruism to the community? Do some research and help out at your local hospital, library, or children’s welfare center.
- Preview/review your textbooks before the semester starts. It’s always good walking into class and not only knowing your stuff, but remembering it too.
- Exercise. Yeah, it’s difficult to hit the gym on any given day, especially during the hot summer days when we’re already relaxing comfortably indoors. But it’s also a great time to get in shape and stay fit. Work those muscles!
- Write. Write! Anything from poetry to short stories. Now’s the time where you can utilize your writing skills to your utmost passion and talent, other than showing ‘em off on your typical research papers and essays. Summer’s the perfect time to travel around and gain a little inspiration from here and there.
So how about it? Go grab a pen and starting making a list of things to do accomplish! Now you can call it a day.
Apply to Write for Uloop NewsJoin the Uloop News Team
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Campus Life Articles
Recent Case Western News Articles
RECENT CASE WESTERN CLASSIFIEDS
WRITE FOR ULOOPApply to Write for Uloop News
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP 5 NEWS ARTICLES
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeOhio State UniversityCase Western Reserve UniversityUniversity of CincinnatiKent State UniversityMiami University - OxfordOhio UniversityUniversity of AkronBowling Green State UniversityCleveland State UniversityUniversity of ToledoWright State UniversityUniversity of DaytonYoungstown State UniversityColumbus State Community CollegeAntioch UniversityDenison UniversityDeVry ColumbusShawnee State UniversityOhio Wesleyan UniversityOhio Northern UniversityColumbus College of Art & DesignSinclair Community CollegeOtterbein CollegeUniversity of Northwestern OhioOberlin CollegeOwens Community CollegeAshland UniversityBaldwin-Wallace CollegeBluffton UniversityCapital UniversityCedarville UniversityCentral State UniversityCincinnati Christian UniversityCollege of Mount St. JosephEdison Community CollegeFranciscan University of SteubenvilleFranklin UniversityHeidelberg CollegeHiram CollegeJohn Carroll UniversityKent State University SalemKenyon CollegeLourdes CollegeMalone UniversityMarietta CollegeMiami University HamiltonMiami University MiddletownMount Union CollegeMount Vernon Nazarene UniversityMuskingum CollegeNotre Dame CollegeOhio Dominican UniversityOhio State University at LimaOhio State University at MansfieldOhio State University at MarionOhio State University-Newark CampusOhio University-ChillicotheOhio University-LancasterOhio University-SouthernOhio University-ZanesvilleThe College of WoosterThe University of FindlayTiffin UniversityUnion Institute & UniversityUniversity of Cincinnati-Raymond Walters CollegeUniversity of Rio GrandeUniversity of Toledo Health Science CampusUrbana UniversityUrsuline CollegeWalsh UniversityWilmington CollegeWittenberg UniversityXavier UniversityCincinnati State Technical and Community CollegeClark State Community CollegeHocking CollegeNortheastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine and PharmacyCuyahoga Community CollegeLakeland Community CollegeCuyahoga Community College-WestshoreEastern Gateway Community CollegeLorain County Community CollegeMarion Technical College North Central State CollegeNorthwest State Community CollegeRhodes State CollegeSouthern State Community CollegeTerra State Community College Washington State Community CollegeZane State College
- By State
- By City