10 Reads for Your Valentine's Needs
Valentine’s Day is right around the corner, and for some, that means absolutely nothing. If you’re anything like me, alone time is more important than anything else, and you’d way rather curl up with a good book than spend the night out trying to hook a significant other to bring home.
So what do people like us do on Valentine’s Day? We could always watch a few romantic comedies and call it a night (it is a Tuesday, after all), but, more realistically, we’re going to be reading anyway.
So, we might as well get in the holiday spirit and read some texts that are filled with romance. Without further ado, here are 10 texts that are perfect for your Valentine’s Day reading needs.
1. “Pride and Prejudice” by Jane Austen
Honestly, you could insert any Jane Austen novel here and you would do just fine, but “Pride and Prejudice” is one of the best for a variety of reasons. But first and foremost, it’s one of the greatest, and most relevant, love stories ever written. So it has educational value while simultaneously satisfying that romantic void in your life for the day. You’re welcome.
2. “The Host” by Stephanie Meyer
Yes, the “Twilight” saga is the more obvious choice here, but “The Host” is a very underrated love story. It’s a thick book, but you shouldn’t have any trouble finishing it, as it’s almost impossible to put down once you’re started. It’ll satisfy your sci-fi craving with that romantic element that keeps you on the edge of your seat until the very end.
3. “Gone With the Wind” by Margaret Mitchell
An absolute classic, no Valentine’s Day reading bonanza would be complete without it. This is another bigger text, that may take some time to get through, but the love story at the heart of the book is unique and compelling, and the text itself is beautifully written. You won’t want to put it down and you’ll return to it over and over again.
4. “The Notebook” by Nicholas Sparks
Again, any Nicholas Sparks novel will do, but “The Notebook” is undoubtedly one of his best. It’s a traditional love story that’ll bring the waterworks, and you can always follow up your reading with a showing of the film, as both are absolutely worth your time. If you haven’t read this one, definitely pick it up, and if you have, it’s worth rereading.
5. “Wuthering Heights” by Emily Bronte
My personal favorite, “Wuthering Heights” is a gothic text that is surprisingly relatable and that keeps you guessing until the very end. It’s one of those books that you’ll have to read again from a new perspective and it’ll quickly become one of your favorites.
6. “Modern Lovers” by Emma Straub
Admittedly, this was not one of my favorite texts at first, but the characterizations throughout the book are fantastically multi-dimensional and propel an otherwise dull story. The relationships are as with the times as you can get, and that in and of itself makes this one a keeper.
7. “The Couple Next Door” by Shari Lapena
If you’re looking for a thriller/mystery, this is your book. With relationships at the center and mystery threatening to tear them apart, this text is nearly impossible to put down, and an easy read in general. The characters aren’t all that likable, but you can’t help but feel for them all at the same time.
8. “All About Love: New Visions” by Bell Hooks
This may not be a narrative that’s impossible to put down, but it’s one that everyone needs to read. It discusses the meaning of love in our society and the feminist outlook on relationships in general without being overly preachy.
9. “I Let You Go” by Clare Mackintosh
Undoubtedly one of the best books I’ve ever read, “I Let You Go” is the only book to successfully pull a multitude of twists that you simply don’t see coming. I won’t spoil anything, as that would completely ruin the book, but if you’re a fan of a little mystery to go with your romance, you’re in luck!
10. “Thirteen Reasons Why” by Jay Asher
This young adult novel is on the list for a couple reasons. One, because it’s a great mystery and a quick read. Two, because it’s about to be a Netflix TV show that you will want to tune into, and it’s always best to read the book first. I promise you won’t be able to put it down!
While these are just a few of my favorites, there are plenty of Valentine’s themed books out there for your perusal. So hit the local library or surf Amazon and find one that speaks to you.
A comfy chair and a cup of tea will be eagerly awaiting your arrival!
Apply to Write for Uloop NewsJoin the Uloop News Team
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Entertainment Articles
Recent Case Western News Articles
CASE WESTERN Housing Listings
WRITE FOR ULOOPApply to Write for Uloop News
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP 5 NEWS ARTICLES
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeOhio State UniversityCase Western Reserve UniversityUniversity of CincinnatiKent State UniversityMiami University - OxfordOhio UniversityUniversity of AkronBowling Green State UniversityCleveland State UniversityUniversity of ToledoWright State UniversityUniversity of DaytonYoungstown State UniversityColumbus State Community CollegeAntioch UniversityDenison UniversityDeVry ColumbusShawnee State UniversityOhio Wesleyan UniversityOhio Northern UniversityColumbus College of Art & DesignSinclair Community CollegeOtterbein CollegeUniversity of Northwestern OhioOberlin CollegeOwens Community CollegeAshland UniversityBaldwin-Wallace CollegeBluffton UniversityCapital UniversityCedarville UniversityCentral State UniversityCincinnati Christian UniversityCollege of Mount St. JosephEdison Community CollegeFranciscan University of SteubenvilleFranklin UniversityHeidelberg CollegeHiram CollegeJohn Carroll UniversityKent State University SalemKenyon CollegeLourdes CollegeMalone UniversityMarietta CollegeMiami University HamiltonMiami University MiddletownMount Union CollegeMount Vernon Nazarene UniversityMuskingum CollegeNotre Dame CollegeOhio Dominican UniversityOhio State University at LimaOhio State University at MansfieldOhio State University at MarionOhio State University-Newark CampusOhio University-ChillicotheOhio University-LancasterOhio University-SouthernOhio University-ZanesvilleThe College of WoosterThe University of FindlayTiffin UniversityUnion Institute & UniversityUniversity of Cincinnati-Raymond Walters CollegeUniversity of Rio GrandeUniversity of Toledo Health Science CampusUrbana UniversityUrsuline CollegeWalsh UniversityWilmington CollegeWittenberg UniversityXavier UniversityCincinnati State Technical and Community CollegeClark State Community CollegeHocking CollegeNortheastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine and PharmacyCuyahoga Community CollegeLakeland Community CollegeCuyahoga Community College-WestshoreEastern Gateway Community CollegeLorain County Community CollegeMarion Technical College North Central State CollegeNorthwest State Community CollegeRhodes State CollegeSouthern State Community CollegeTerra State Community College Washington State Community CollegeZane State College
- By State
- By City